Tips For Protecting Against Ticks
- Install fencing and landscaping to reduce the potential for deer and mice (the primary host vectors for Lyme disease) in your yard.
- Plant shrubs and flowers that don’t attract deer, remove debris and vegetation that attracts mice (such as wood piles).
- Keep the yard tidy. Ticks breed in overgrown areas – trees, bushes and too tall grass.
- Apply repellents that are effective against ticks to exposed areas.
- Always shower and inspect after spending time outdoors, especially in natural areas where ticks are prevalent. Inspect for ticks daily - you, children and pets.
- Vaccinate your pets and treat them with a repellent that is effective against ticks.